Thursday, March 19, 2015

A Man and His Desk



"If you are a genius, you'll make your own rules, but if not - and the odds are against it - go to your desk no matter what your mood, face the icy challenge of the paper - write."
- J. B. Priestley

As I've decided to do more writing and photography; I will need a new computer to store everything and my own little space in my apartment that I can go to for me to sit down and write. In the last few weeks I've been working on designing and building this area up. This is a very clean picture of my new desk but as time goes on you can bet I will add and build it more into "me". Even as I was writing this I arranged things slightly different. I think there is something important about a man having his own little space. Almost therapeutic in a way. Well that's at least what I'm hoping to get out of my new desk in my room.

I want to talk about some of the details of the my new desk. Starting with the desk it self. I didn't want to go down to the local staples or Ikea and find some run of the mill desk. I saw a desk on ETSY that I really liked but they wanted $1700 plus shipping for it. Looking at this desk I said to myself, "I could build that for way less." So I built the desk myself by hand. Luckily I work at a shop that has plenty of tools and the space for me to take on a project like that. So I went to Home Depot picked out some wood and I cut and glued the pieces together. Sanded it all down and stained it a nice walnut color. I planned on using metal piping to build the base of the table but pricing it out it started to exceed my budget for a desk. So I decided to go with square tubing and weld them into a base. Pricing that out it was more towards what I was trying to spend. Now I may work in a welding shop but don't actually do your typical type of welding. But we do have a welder in the back and figured I could learn it and grind the crap out of my welds until they looked pretty. Luckily it didn't come to that because next door to my shop is a legit weld shop and speaking to them they said they would build the base I designed for pretty much what it would cost me in material. Not only would that be faster, safer and nicer, I wouldn't have to spend weekend after weekend teaching myself to weld. One week later I had a complete desk and it cost me an eighth of what the one I saw on ETSY would have cost me. Now saving a ton of money for a desk is a huge bonus but my favorite part is that when I sit at my desk and feel the wood against my hands it reminds me that I built this and no one has a desk like it. I know every inch of it and every flaw. It's something I appreciate way more than any desk I could have bought. Also it has a great story of where it came from.

One of my other favorite items on my desk is my new desk fan. It's an antique style fan from Himalayan Breeze. Come on lets be real, how could you not want a desk fan from a company with a name like that. Not only does the fan have a cool name it reminds me of my Grandfather. Back in the day when he gave me my first job as a young little teenager I remembered on his desk, that he mostly just put his loafers up on, he had a little old school fan that kept him cool all day while he napped. So as nod to the greatest man I ever knew I planted my own little "old school" desk fan right there to my side.

Last but not least you have to have the American Flag. Old Glory ties any room together just so well. What else could you want to look up to other than the Red, White and Blue while working away at your desk? "The flag stands for all that we hold dear – freedom, democracy, government of the people, by the people, and for the people.” - Henry Cabot Lodge, 1915. Just a constant reminder that I get to speak my voice freely and express myself in pictures because of this flag.

Real quick note, now I'm sure someone might wonder why a drum throne for a chair. I grew up sitting hours and hours behind a drum set and never complained about sitting so I figured what's better than that. Its not broken so why fix it now. Also it was laying around in the closet and I might as well get some use out of it.

This last week I was pretty busy and really didn't have much to talk about that was that exciting. Other than getting a new tattoo on Friday the 13th. I totally brought my camera and wanted to do some clean black and white photos of the tattoo shop my friend works at but I pulled my camera out and in a rookie move. I forgot the SD card. "NOOO!" is exactly what I screamed out so the plan of posting about that little fun adventure ended up falling apart so I figured why not talk about where I will be spending some of my nights typing away.

Cheers.

Little Link Love
14 Things Every Man Should Have at His Desk









No comments:

Post a Comment